Friday, June 12, 2009

Feminism Re-defined is still Feminism

Click title for full story


Tabitha Hale at the pinkelephantpundit.com had an article yesterday on her decision to embrace the word "feminism" due to the suggestion of some of her readers that she is a true feminist. This is what she wrote:

Someone called me a “true feminist” last week in response to my articles regarding Playboy and Guy Cimbalo. At first, I was slightly taken back. Feminists generally don’t like me very much. It’s not a crowd I’ve ever considered running with. It did, however, make me think. What is a feminist? In my mind, it’s someone who embraces women for what they are. Someone who denounces gender rooted hate speech, no matter WHO it’s against. Who doesn’t believe that they need to be legislated into equality, but knows that they are already there. We were created equal to men, and yet we have different strengths – those strengths should be celebrated, not squashed in an attempt to be the same. We are NOT the same. Personally, I love being a woman, and I love the qualities that I have that make me different from a man. I don’t see that as backwards or anti-woman. It is, in fact, just the opposite. I am not a victim of my gender; I enjoy it.

So if that makes me a feminist, than I am a feminist.


I agree with the pinkelephantpundit's premise. However, I thnk it is a huge mistake for conservative women in our party to accept the "feminist" monkier. The fact is, the word "feminist" has many negative connotations attached to it and it is time to start defining our party and our people with our own terms. Trying to embrace leftist terms did not get us very far in last year's election.

All that we got was a ticket full of RINO's and Barack Hussein Obama as president.

This isn't the first time the pinkelephantpundit has done something like this. Not too long ago, she called many conservatives "nutjobs" for not falling all over ourselves and condemning Tiller's murder. Most of us, including myself, did not condone the murder, but realize what Tiller was and that the unborn is safer without him.

If being a smart girl in politics is what the pinkelephantpundit really wants, its time for her to re-examine her core beliefs and stop trying to appease the left. Conservative women do not want feminism attached to their names no matter how it is redefined. Semantics are everything and there are loaded words out there the Right can do without. I have a Twitter poll on this topic inbound, and we'll discuss on Tuesday's show.

5 comments:

  1. Even Rush recognizes there is a difference between femi-nazis and feminists. You're just humg up on the term and it's your hang up. You're not going to have much luck with this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Apparently you miss the point. I'm not embracing anything about the leftist idea of feminism. Your own projections and hang ups do not negate the true meaning of the word. Get over yourself. There is nothing liberal at all about my stance.

    In addition, the unborn are NOT safer without Tiller. Maybe you missed the free abortions being handed out in Philadelphia to commemorate his death? And this all the doctors and family members who have sworn to continue Tiller's work? The babies he would have aborted are still going to be aborted by someone else. Yeah, I have a problem with people not condemning murder in any situation. Murder is not pro life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh and since we're talking about terms. I've just about had enough of the term RHINO. Who put you in charge of declaring who is and who isn't a "true" conservative? I'm sick and tired of whinny moralizing fools like Hannity et al declaring other conservatives less than authentic. So unless I agree with you on a checklist of issues I'm not a "true" conservative? Time for you self declared "base" types to recognize you can't win elections on your own and insulting potential allies is stupid.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You clearly missed the whole idea behind Tabitha's post, Patriot Byte. She talked about hijacking the feminist movement, not succumbing to it and embracing the left's idea of feminism. In fact, if you are a regular reader of her blog or listen to her show on RFC, you will know that she fights the leftist agenda with great passion and courage. I'm really not sure how you could have missed that very evident fact, being that you are a colleague of hers on RFC.

    I'm wondering if you have some data to back up your claim that conservative women do not want feminism attached to their name. As a conservative woman myself, I know plenty of us who are on board with Tabitha's idea of reclaiming that word for ourselves. To be able to redefine the word in the images of ladies like Sarah Palin and Tabitha Hale would be a great accomplishment. True smart girls do not back down from a challenge like that. Unlike you, we are not scared of the word feminist.

    You owe Tabitha an apology.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mr Mark,

    WHOA!!

    As someone who does not tow any party line and has been in a verbal scuffle with lots of people including RFC's very own Tabitha Hale I feel that I can comment on this as a expert.

    There is no gray in this debate.

    Mark, your dead wrong.

    Under the litmus test that you have put out there to what terms we can use, Conservative must be a banned term.

    We can never use the term becasue of how the MSM has bastardized the way we are potrayed in the media.

    We are racists.

    We hate gays

    We are only for tax cuts for the rich.

    We hate the enviroment.

    I could of course go on and on.

    Tabitha is a extremely smart and gifted writer who happens to be a woman. I trust that she understands what the true definition of feminist is after reading her post. I believe if you re read her post you will possibly find that this is true.

    She did not deserve a verbal slapdown like this for not allowing the MSM to define what a feminist is. She deserves to be praised for not allowing them to hijack the term any longer!!!

    That's my take

    ReplyDelete